Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A Bend In The River

I began to understand how simple and uncomplicated the world was for me. For people like myself and Mahesh, and the uneducated Greeks and Italians in our town, the world was really quite a simple place. We could understand it, and if too many obstacles weren't put in our way we could master it. It didn't matter that we were far away from our civilization, far away from the doers and the makers. It didn't matter that we couldn't make the things we liked to use, and as individuals were even without the technical skills of primitive people. If fact, the less educated we were, the more at peace we were, the more easily we were carried along by our civilization or civilizations.

For Ferdinand there was no such possibility. He could never be simple. The more he tried, the more confused he became. His mind wasn't empty, as I had begun to think. It was a jumble, full of all kinds of junk.

A Bend In The River, 1979
V. S. Naipaul (1932- )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you darling, I'm doing that. Chin up, always.
Hugs!

talk said...

im thinking of reading it...

M said...

Talksmart, I would definitely recommed it. Simply written and an interesting perspective on progress.

Doug The Una said...

Cam anyone explain Instant Messeger to me?

M said...

Doug, me! Me! Me!

Which IM though? Yahoo, GTalk, MSN?